Tuesday, May 13, 2014

They're Just Words



Okay. Earlier, I said something that may be construed as offensive. Okay, I'll admit, it was offensive. I shouldn't have told a chick to grow a pair and stop letting people walk on her. However, being referred to the "You Don't Say" campaign and being taught there are some things you're not allowed to say is going a bit far. Are we really so mired into the muck of self pity that we are now offended by such insignificant things as words? I mean, seriously.

Here we are comfortable amidst the 21st century and we have become a society so concerned about hurting someone's feelings we have to be careful not to use the "P" word when describing the female genitalia, but CBS has made a lot of money spreading "vagina" all over their Monday night comedies. We're not allowed to voice our religious beliefs (or lack of them) because we don't want to appear discriminatory against those of other faiths. I get that we shouldn't drop the "N" bomb because it offends other races, but why can't I revel in the same pleasure of calling myself a cracker that they do in calling each other the "N" word?

I'm not trying to sound bigoted, but seriously, can we please get over being hurt by words? I do not speak or write to offend anyone. I do not want to hurt anyone with what I say. If I wanted to hurt someone, I would use something much more tangible. They say words scar your soul as much as weapons scar your flesh. That's just crazy. I grew up being called everything from a Kike to a Pollock to a Mick drunk cum stain. I have been told how worthless I am and cussed out by some real professionals.

I've been insulted, harassed, harangued, harped at, hung out to dry, thrown under the bus, pissed off, nearly pissed on, actually, literally pissed on thanks to my son and grandkids, screamed at, yelled at, talked down too, talked about, gossiped over, threatened, cajoled, blamed, lied to, lied on, led on, led on a wild goose chase, led to water but not made to drink. I have been victimized, verbalized, lobotomized, and spat in my eyes. I've had people piss in my ear, piss on my leg, and pissed in my shower. I have been told what to do, when to do, where to do, how to do but rarely why I do by you know who. People have screamed, shouted, yelled, holllered and sang to me. In every one of those scenarios, people have tried to use words as weapons against me, but the truth is I came out of each encounter unchanged and without trauma because no matter the delivery, they were just words.

That's it. They were nothing more than insignificant inconsequential insubstantial words. Words aren't like bricks. When someone throws them at us we can just ignore them.

Now as a writer, I know it seems blasphemous to say that, but let's face it, even when used to entertain, they are just words. Yes. I would love for my words to ignite your imaginations and send you into another world fill with wonder and amazement. I would love for my words to inspire you to make a positive life change. I would be in utter bliss if my words showed you a kind of magic that I find in every good book I open.

But it seems like that far too often it isn't the words I use to entertain that affect you. Why can't the words I lovingly and painstakingly coax into my books get you to react but one offhand comment about growing a pair of testicles gets your attention and spurs you into action?

Is that the secret to success? Should I stop creating worlds of wonder and amazement and settle for pissing off the most number of people? I could you know. I mean let's face it, I have plenty of research material. There are tons of small minded bigots around that could teach me how to be offensive. If my goal is to get you interested in what I want to say, then I should appeal to the one thing that gets you interested in what's being said.

But no. That's just not who I am. I write and build worlds that I want to escape into, worlds that I want to bring you into. There's no room in those worlds for hatred and definitely no room for offense. I write and I use my words for what I hope is a better life experience. Occasionally I use my words to inspire you to do something positive. But if the words I choose to inspire you offend you instead, then grow a pair of balls, don't be such a pussy, quit bitching and get over it. They're just freakin' words.

No comments:

Post a Comment